Home & Contents Insurance

Your home and its contents probably represent the bulk of where your wealth lies. Your home and the items inside it are yours because of the hard work that you’ve put in across the years. We work our whole life to accumulate these assets.

The insurance of said assets is an important aspect of day to day life. What would happen if you suddenly lost your house? That might be equivalent to losing hundreds of thousands of dollars, all in the one hit.

Insurance and the fine print

Attempting to find the correct insurance on your own is a pain. Home and contents insurance can be more than a bit of a nightmare to navigate on your own. Are you covered for storm damage? How about theft if you don’t have particular locks installed?

When many people go to make claims on an insurance policy that they’ve taken out they realise that they aren’t actually covered because of some strange fine print – or the insurance company makes the whole process so completely convoluted and lengthy that you feel like they’re trying to make you give up! Although it’s not the person on the other end of the phone line’s fault, you can end up quite frustrated and even upset.

Quick Quote Form

We’re the ace in your pocket when it comes to insurance

At DGA, we uncover the best policies for your unique home and contents situation at a great price. We’re reading the fine print so that you’ll never find yourself caught out with insufficient coverage. We’re chatting to the insurance companies when you need to make a claim. And we’re smoothing the process so that everything is completed faster and with the least amount of friction possible.

That’s why it simply makes sense to choose DGA as your insurance brokers. We’ve had decades of experience in determining each client’s unique situations, know which are the best insurance companies to work with, and know how to get the best packages and optional extras at great prices. We’re always here to chat if you need help with your insurance, and always ensure a prompt response when you need it most.

Our experienced brokers are here to develop an understanding of your insurance needs and ensure that we take away the problems of you managing and understanding the complexities of insurance.

Let us arrange the most appropriate insurance package for your home and its contents.


What’s covered under the “home” part of home and contents insurance?

The costs of fixing or rebuilding your home are what is covered under the “home” part of this particular insurance category. This may or may not include various parts of your property not immediately thought of as part of your home structure such as garages, decks, driveways, paving, granny flats, jetties, outdoor lighting, tennis courts, swimming pools and spas, trees and plants, and other items.

Let’s say, for instance, that there is a fierce storm in your area that blows off part of your roof, which needs repairing and replacing. The insurance would then cover the cost of the materials used in repairs and the roofing contractor’s fee to perform the work.

You may also have the costs of temporary accommodation for both you and your pets covered if your home is not inhabitable. Other claims paid include some or all of the cost of new lock and key sets, storage of your contents, demolition costs, solar heating replacement, and landscaping costs.

Some insurance providers may have companies that they use for sourcing materials and/or contractors they use for repair work, some may have suggestions for you, or some will require you to find them yourself and simply pay out a sum.

What’s covered under the “contents” part of contents insurance?

There are all sorts of contents you can choose to have covered under your policy. While many people just choose to include their valuables, there really isn’t a limit to what you can cover – within the amount limits. For very high value contents you will need to get a specialty cover which we can help to arrange for you.

Items that can be included in your contents insurance may be:

  • Computers and laptops
  • Mobile phones and other devices
  • Appliances including televisions, media players, gaming systems, kitchen appliances, washers and dryers
  • Furniture
  • Carpeting and rugs
  • Sports equipment
  • Jewellery and watches
  • Gold, silver, and gemstones
  • Art or other collectibles
  • Clothes
  • Books
  • Music
  • Toys
  • Tools
  • Linen
  • Outdoor furniture
  • BBQ
  • Lawn mower
  • Cash or gift cards
  • Documents
  • Computer records
  • Food

Most policies will have a limit for how much you can claim against any one item, or in any one category. There may also be a limit to the amount that you can claim for your contents under any one event.

Some may have new for old replacements, which ensure that you are covered for the costs of replacing an item, regardless of age.

Can I take out just one or the other?

Of course you can! For instance, if you are only renting a property, you will not need to take out home insurance and you will simply require the contents insurance. Or, if you have a home but the contents aren’t important to you, or the house is lying empty, then you can choose to just take out home insurance.

Just because home and contents insurance goes hand in hand doesn’t necessarily mean that it will be the right combination for you.

What events are covered under home and contents insurance?

Depending on the level of cover that you choose to take out, you may be covered for:

  • Storms
  • Fires
  • Floods
  • Tsunamis
  • Lightning
  • Explosions
  • Earthquakes
  • Water damage from liquids escaping incudes burst pipes, mains, tanks, etc.
  • Damage from trees falling
  • Damage by animals
  • Theft
  • Malicious damage from other parties
  • Glass breakages
  • Accidental losses and breakages

Each type of event may have several clauses underneath them – but don’t worry, as we understand them and communicate them to you easily. We tend to avoid recommending policies that have a large range of extenuating clauses included.

What will my excess be?

You can generally choose how much you want your excess to be on your policy, ranging from $0 through to $5000, depending on what you want and your policy type.